it's about how to save our planet from global warming.
Why?? cause not just ME stay in this planet there are YOU, THEM, OUR KIDS AND MANY BEAUTIFUL THING. so come on let's save OUR PLANET!!
WordLinx - Get Paid To Click

Mar 30, 2009

Defining Green Building

In today's society, we hear "green" this and "green" that. Greenness is often through of as driving a hybrid car, reusing shopping bags, or recycling. Can our homes be included in our green lifestyle? Does green architecture exist?

Yes, you could be a hero and use recycled materials to build your home. There are people who have done that. But honestly, do you really want a house built out of scrap metal and cork? I doubt it. I would much rather have a conventional home. However, even though I would build a "normal" home, I can support green architecture.

Imagine I am building a new home. I want to save money on lumber, so I get a company to truck it in from a few hundred miles away as opposed to spending a little more to buy local. Okay, so I am being a bad guy and using lumber, but even worse, I am using so much fuel to have that lumber trucked in. The key here is to buy local. Not only are you stimulating the local economy, but you are going green. You hear everyone these days moaning and complaining about gas prices-well stop using so much! Instead of buying your items big chain stores where everything is trucked in, go to a local store that has locally produced products.

Another thing that I have heard about recently is about how people are opposed to mining to build homes. Well, I've got news for you. In order to construct most homes, you need gravel. I am aware that a gravel mine in your back yard would be unpleasant. But here's the thing: you need the dirt either way. Either you purchase the gravel locally, promote local economy, and save fuel, or you can spend a lot of money on trucking, not promote the local economy, and have the same product.

My reason for saying all of this is that many times, you find green architecture where you wouldn't expect it. Many people have stereotypical ideas of what greenness is, but there are simple choices that the average consumer can make to promote green architecture. The best place to start buying local. -Elise Fendmeyer

No comments:

Post a Comment